Bond’s and Ford’s Hospital Charity
Hill Street, showing Bond’s Hospital and Bablake School (the half-timbered building in the background)
Hill Street, Coventry, England, United Kingdom
No Accident & Emergency
Hospitals in England
Bond’s Hospital is an almshouse established for old bedesmen. It is situated on Hill Street, Coventry, England, built around the same courtyard as the old disused buildings of Bablake School.
The hospital was founded in 1506 by Thomas Bond, a draper who became Mayor of Coventry in 1497. Although most of the street frontage was rebuilt in 1832, the building essentially still retains all its original features, and the hospital is now a grade II* listed building. It consists of twelve bed-sitting rooms and a common room, and the garden at its rear contains a portion of the old city wall.
Ford’s Hospital was a similar 16th century foundation for women almoners.
The ownership and operation of Bonds Hospital is now vested in the Bond’s and Ford’s Hospital Charity, part of the Coventry Church Municipal Charities.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bond’s Hospital.
Grade II* listed buildings in Coventry
^ a b The Times, Missing Keys To The Past ,18 August 1947
^ Fox (1957), p. 162.
^ a b Fox (1957), pp. 191–2.
Social Welfare and Social Work portal
Fox, Levi (1957). Coventry’s Heritage. Birmingham: Journal Printing Office.
Coordinates: 52°24′31″N 1°30′51″W / 52.40861°N 1.51417°W / 52.40861; -1.51417
This article about a West Midlands building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.